020: How To Stay Focused & Productive at Work
Wednesday, October 16, 2013 – 53 minutes
Download: MP3 (51.0 MB)
In assessing the habits of history’s most creative minds, we find a similar pattern. Sure, there are productivity tips and tricks, but that’s not where true focus comes from. If I tell you the answer now, it may not be what you want to hear, so you’ll just have to listen in to find out.
- 11:48 The cruciality of the first few hours.
- 14:55 Start by accomplishing 3 tasks you already laid out for the day.
- 15:33 Your breaks will feel more effective as a result, and you’ll be able to bounce back from them easier.
- 22:48 Procrastination happen when you think you have the freedom to put something off because it’s not mandatory to get it done right away.
- 23:22 It’s about constraints of time.
- 24:15 If we simply tell ourselves that something needs to be done “someday” it likely will be unnecessarily delay or often never happen at all.
- 32:00 Practical Productivity Tips:
- Know your time wasters.
- Complete your main tasks first.
- Give yourself breaks.
- When you’re working, focus (remove distractions).
- Enable Airplane mode.
- User timers.
- Know your tasks ahead of time and schedule them.
- Set deadlines for completion.
- 38:23 It comes down to completing the important tasks up front, so that the rest of your day is made even more productive.
- 39:05 Once you do the important things at the beginning of your day, completing the secondary tasks during the rest of the day will give you an added sense of accomplishment.
Productivity Booster: Airplane Mode. ✈️
— Sean McCabe (@seanwes) October 4, 2013