Download: MP3 (60.6 MB)
When I say “day job” people react like I said a four-letter word!
Getting a day job is not giving up on your dream.
A lot of people feel like having a day job is holding them back. They’re eager to take a leap.
But trying to monetize your passion too soon is what will kill your passion.
When you don’t protect your passion by first covering your bills with a day job, it will be crushed the first time it encounters resistance. You have to protect it.
Protecting comes in the form of a day job. You have to protect your ability to make objective decisions and your ability to say no to bad opportunities.
When you put yourself in a position where you have to make money from your passion in order to survive, you will be desperate. This desperation leads to compromise on many things—including your prices, professionalism or morals.
A day job that covers 100% of your bills is what prevents scarcity mindset. Build a solid foundation and then overlap. Overlap is a transition, not a leap.
Highlights, Takeaways, & Quick Wins:
- If you quit your job to pursue your passion, you risk killing your passion. Protect your passion with a day job.
- If you’re in a toxic environment in your day job, you need to find a different day job.
- The right day job covers 100% of your bills.
- The right day job will be in a different industry from your passion.
- If you come home and your energy for your passion is depleted, you need a different day job.
- Protecting your passion now is setting yourself up for long term success.
- If you don’t have a day job that supports you, your full time job is finding that right day job. No overlapping until you get there!