Download: MP3 (92.1 MB)

In the last episode, we talked about the importance of attention and why you need it.

Today, we’re covering 5 methods you can use to get people’s attention.

I made a mistake early on: I learned that it’s good to create content that is evergreen and remains relevant for a long time to come.

While this is true, I went too far by creating ONLY evergreen content. Nearly 100% of what I focused on creating was built around a timeless message.

There’s nothing wrong with timeless, but it’s the very evergreen nature of timeless material to not draw attention to itself! Things that are constant and always remain to be true can be boring.

Your job then is to breathe life into what can otherwise be boring topics! How do you do that? That’s the focus of today’s show.

Highlights, Takeaways, & Quick Wins:
  • People notice consistency, not announcements.
  • When you’re consistent you become part of your audience’s routine—get inside their weekly cycle.
  • With consistency, you’re generating attention that doesn’t exist; with controversy, you’re capturing attention that already exists.
  • Don’t get attention with controversy for the sake of controversy—people will see right through it.
  • Use current content as a path to evergreen content.
  • Don’t ignore controversy—how can you put forth something controversial that adds to the conversation?
  • Curiosity creates an open loop in storytelling.
  • When you peak people’s curiosity, always follow through on the promise—don’t just use click bait.
  • Even if you don’t think of yourself as an entertaining person, you have a unique value—through experience and your own story—that someone will resonate with.
  • Don’t try to be someone you’re not.
  • Make a name for yourself. Over time, people will pay attention to you because you’re you.
  • Your content should be 80% attention grabbing; the other 20% should be evergreen content that’s not automatically getting attention.
  • Evergreen content will have slow growth but it’s important because it will last.
  • Repurpose content in the context of consistency, controversy, curiosity, charm, and character. Don’t just share the same old content over and over.
  • People have a finite supply of attention. Bring people in without adding to the noise.
  • Relevance over recency.
  • The people who are excited about something are going to consume that content one way or the other—it might as well come from you.