Download: MP3 (71.7 MB)
Today’s sabbatical episode features special guest, Laci McCabe.
I’m excited to have my wife back on the show (it’s been over 50 episodes since the last one she was on). For awhile, she’s been asking to join me on the show to talk about habits.
Last year, Laci made some drastic changes in her habits to be able to run a 10K. That goal quickly expanded into a running half marathon (which she did)!
It all started with something tiny—actually with flossing (more on that in the show).
We talk about achieving big goals by starting small.
Highlights, Takeaways, & Quick Wins:
- Figure out what motivates you (fear or reward) and use it to your advantage.
- Start so small you can’t say no. Trigger your goal by lacing up your running shoes or just typing the first sentence.
- Get a full year calendar and put a red X on each day that you complete your habit. Don’t break the red X chain.
- Never miss twice.
- Never miss a Monday.
- Chain micro habits to other established habits (like flossing right before you brush your teeth).
- Decide what you’re going to say no to, or what you’re going to “bomb”. You can’t do everything all at once; something has to give until a habit becomes second nature.
- Add new habits when you feel like your current habits are no longer taking up your decision-making power.
- There is power in marginal gains—tiny wins made over time.
- Make your habit fun. Example: only listen to an audio book or music that you enjoy listening to while working out.
- Half of the battle is getting the right mindset.