The Lambo Goal
Yesterday, I posted a video I did with my friend Matt called Lambo Goal. It’s the first of a new series of videos we’ll be doing to chronicle the journey to buying a Lamborghini in cash.
A Lamborghini is my dream car and we encourage you to also dream big. We give you some practical steps and challenge you to dream bigger than you’ve ever imagined.
My goal is not just to buy a Lamborghini in cash, it’s to buy a Lamborghini Aventador, which is a $400,000 car, when it represents 10% of my money.
The point isn’t just to get my dream car, it’s about setting goals that are bigger than my biggest dreams.
That’s what the Lambo Goal represents. If I wanted a Lamborghini, I could just save up until I’m ready to buy one. It doesn’t make sense to wait until it’s 10% of my money. The reason I’m doing that is to force myself to dream big. It’s about reaching farther than you’ve ever reached and expanding your visions. The Lambo Goal can be whatever you want. It represents dreaming big—to the point where other people call you impractical.
The bottom line is we made something really great with the Lambo Goal video. It’s over an hour long and there’s not a moment that isn’t jam-packed with awesomeness. You’ll hear Matt and I explain how we got where we are, how we plan to get where we’re going, and why I’m breaking my own rule about sharing big dreams to bring you along for the journey.
Paying My Haters
Now here’s the crazy part. You know how you get the best ideas in the shower? I got this idea in the shower and it’s either the best idea I’ve ever had or the worst one. I decided to go through without before I figure out which one it is.
I’m going to pay my haters.
That’s right, I’m going to pay the people that don’t believe in me. Cold, hard cash. Until the end of this week, if you go back and watch the entire video and you are not inspired, I will send you $5. Just fill out your Paypal email address and I will send you real money.
I have absolutely no idea how this will go. I’m prepared to put my money where my mouth is. I don’t know if it will be hundreds of dollars, I don’t know if it will be thousands of dollars, but I will stay true to my word. I will pay every single person that doesn’t believe in me.
If you want to hate—if you want to spend an ounce of your energy discouraging me from my goals—then getting $5 from me is the best thing you’ll ever accomplish in your life. I will gladly give you that $5.
Why I’m Doing It
Now, from a marketing perspective, here’s why I’m doing it:
- I’ve created great content. I’ve created something awesome but good content alone does not go viral. You have to tell a story. There has to be a twist. Something has to happen. But the first thing is making something great. I’ve done that.
- The Lambo Goal is already epic, but having a headline like “If this video does not inspire you, I’ll send you $5,” is going to get people to watch. But that’s only the first part.
- After I get haters—and there will be haters—I’m going to send them money. Once the week is over, I now have a second story: “I paid my haters $X because they weren’t inspired by this video.” Inspired by what video? He paid his haters? That’s crazy, I have to go watch that! That’s exactly what we want.
- You better believe after paying my haters cold, hard cash that I’m going to be motivated to achieve this goal. If nothing else happens from this, I’m even more determined to prove them wrong. That $5 will be the best thing that ever happens to them, but by them not believing in me, it just fuels me all the more.
Just before we started recording this episode, Cory was writing down his Lambo Goal. He was inspired by it. If you haven’t seen that episode yet, go to LamboGoal.com and watch it. Like I said, if you’re not inspired, I will pay you real money. It’s win-win for you. You’ll either have the most life-changing experience you ever had, or you’re paid for the time you wasted.
I honestly have no idea how it’s going so far because I recorded this before we even launched the #payingmyhaters campaign but I thought you might be interested in my thoughts behind it and why I’m doing it.
If you support me and you believe in me or you just think I’m crazy, I’d love to hear your thoughts. Use the hashtag #payingmyhaters if you want to tweet me about it.
Let me know in the YouTube comments:
- Am I crazy?
- Do you think this might work?
- What do you think will happen?
- Is this memorable for you?
If you check out the Lambo Goal video on YouTube, you’ll see people leaving comments with their Lambo Goals to inspire each other.
Here’s what I know: this is how confident I am in the Lambo Goal.